Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Inquiry-based learning (2)

I've just read the first posting on the CILASS blog about the CILASS academy that I attended last week. The posting is here http://cilass.group.shef.ac.uk/?p=135 and it has a group photo taken at the front of the building. Included are me, and also my colleagues from Information Studies, Andrew Cox and Philippa Levy (Phil is also Academic Director of CILASS, so that takes up most of her time currently), and Peter Stordy from the Library. My photo here is of sheep near Higham Hall.

One of the "tangible" outcomes I had resulted from a pair activity in which I developed more fully a piece of assessment for a forthcoming Business Information Module. I have done away with the exam, and in addition to the existing coursework (an analytical reprt on a company, together with a short reflection on the student's information literacy in carrying out the work) each student will also be doing a short, critical media report. I had already decided I wanted the students to compare news reports about their chosen company with what the company said about itself. Marie Kinsey (a lecturer in Journalism) helped me to develop my idea further, so now I will be telling the students to focus on a financial announcement (annual accounts or interims) and specific types of media. This activity is already supported by various elements in the lecture sessions and labs, but I will further tweak the curriculum in order to encourage students to prepare themselves and gather data.

No comments: